Irrigation managers oversee the use of water resources to maintain healthy soil and crops. They prepare water budgets, create irrigation schedules, measure water usage and monitor plant health. Managers also develop a maintenance schedule for the irrigation system and work closely with the farm manager and maintenance personnel to implement the schedule.
- Develop and implement water budgets and irrigation schedules based on soil, climate, plant requirements and site’s unique conditions.
- Inspect site and monitor water usage, plant health and irrigation system performance.
- Identify needed repairs and recommend enhancements to reduce water waste and cost.
- Work with farm manager and irrigator to develop budget and implement plans for preventative, scheduled and emergency repairs, as well as irrigation system upgrades.
- Provide direction to farm manager and irrigator on system use, scheduling and maintenance.
Education & Experience
- Two-year associate degree required; four-year bachelor's degree preferred.
- Three to five years irrigation installation experience required.
- Recommended certification(s): Certified Agricultural Irrigation Specialist (CAIS).