Irrigation Association awards scholarships to 18 students
FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA (May 8, 2023) — The Irrigation Association is excited to announce the winners of the 2023 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Program, sponsored by Rain Bird. In its seventh year, the program awarded 18 scholarships to deserving recipients studying and pursuing careers in the irrigation field.
The 18 students are from colleges and universities around the United States and are enrolled in associate to graduate programs with an irrigation focus. The scholarships, ranging from $1,000 to $3,000, were awarded to students who have shown a passion and interest in sustainability, stewardship and use of water, and the essential contributions irrigated landscapes and irrigated agriculture have in improving the quality of life through a reliable global food supply and vital green spaces.
Since the program’s inception in 2016, 125 students have been awarded scholarships. In 2023, Matthew Antunes and Cameron Lowrey were recognized as the 2023 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra scholars, a special designation awarded to the top two winners each year.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2023 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Program:
- Matthew Antunes – University of Connecticut, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholar
- Cameron Lowrey – California Polytechnic State University, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholar
- Darren Baty – California State University, Fresno
- Matthew Frazier – San Jose State University
- Lauren Fuhrman – Kansas State University
- Adrian Gomez – Oklahoma State University
- Emily Hanson – University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Miller Hayes – University of Georgia
- Nathan James – Colorado State University
- Loretta Klecker – Michigan State University
- Idalia Navarro – California State University, Fresno
- Josie Prince – Clemson University
- Cynthia Robbins – Saddleback College/MiraCosta College
- Travis Roberson – Virginia Polytechnic University
- Mary Rodriguez – MiraCosta College
- Zachary Sannar – Utah State University
- Margaret Usher – California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Hattie Witherell – Oklahoma State University
The 2024 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Program will open this fall with a deadline of Feb. 15, 2024. Rain Bird is the exclusive sponsor of the scholarship program through 2026 as a way to honor Rain Bird’s late president and CEO, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra. To learn more about program requirements and the application process, visit www.irrigation.org/scholarships. Please contact the IA (email@example.com, 703.536.7080) with any questions.