Irrigation Association awards scholarships to 18 students around the nation
FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA (April 11, 2022) — The Irrigation Association is excited to announce the winners of the 2022 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Program, sponsored by Rain Bird. In its sixth year, the program awarded 18 scholarships to deserving recipients studying and pursuing careers in the irrigation field. Rain Bird is the exclusive sponsor of the scholarship program through 2026 as a way to honor Rain Bird’s late president and CEO, Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra.
The 18 students are from colleges and universities around the nation and are enrolled in associate to graduate programs with an irrigation focus. The scholarships, ranging from $1,000 to $3,000, were awarded based on the candidate’s letter of intent, financial need, resume, list of irrigation courses and letters of reference.
Since the program’s inception in 2016, 107 students have been awarded scholarships. In 2022, Molly Biggs and Megan Nelson were recognized as the 2022 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra scholars, a special designation awarded to the top two winners each year.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2022 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Program:
- Molly Biggs – Kansas State University
- Megan Nelson – Kansas State University
- Gavin Barnes – California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Troy Bowman – Cincinnati State
- Luis Cortes – California State Polytechnic University Pomona
- Kristopher Criscione – Louisiana State University
- Juanita Diusaba Yusunguaira – Walla Walla Community College
- Matthew Gallegos – California State University, Fresno
- Charles Graham – Oklahoma State University
- Sheila Grubb – Spokane Community College Agriculture
- Samuel Hester – University of Georgia
- Mary Logan Tostenson – University of Georgia
- Kade McGinn – Kansas State University
- Emily Sarantopulos – California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Emily Scruggs – Clemson University
- Erika Sos – California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- John Van Vliet – California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Hannah Williams – University of Nebraska-Lincoln
The 2023 Anthony W. “Tony” LaFetra Scholarship Program will open this fall with a deadline of Feb. 15, 2023. To learn more about program requirements and the application process, visit www.irrigation.org/scholarships. Please contact the IA workforce development department (firstname.lastname@example.org, 703.536.7080) with any questions.