Irrigation Association Kicks Off the 2012 Smart Irrigation Month Campaign and Smart Marketing Contest
FALLS CHURCH, VA (April 19, 2012) – The Irrigation Association is pleased to announce preparations for Smart Irrigation Month, an initiative dedicated to increasing public awareness of the value of water-use efficiency, water-saving products, practices and services. All industry professionals and companies are invited to participate.
Taking place in July, traditionally the month of peak demand in North America, the campaign is designed to:
- Educate homeowners, businesses, growers and other users about simple ways to save money and water.
- Encourage industry firms and professionals to promote smart irrigation practices and technologies to customers.
- Help water providers minimize peak water use and reduce demands on infrastructure in their communities.
- Reinforce the role efficient irrigation plays in providing real solutions to today’s water challenges.
First launched in 2005, Smart Irrigation Month is gaining traction as stakeholders recognize the potential impact of efficient irrigation in July and year-round. “July is a peak water-use month that warrants heightened attention. This is also a real opportunity for companies in the irrigation industry to differentiate themselves and add value for customers by promoting water-saving products, practices and services. Participants in Smart Irrigation Month campaigns have proudly reported increased sales and new customers. This results in more beautiful, productive and water-efficient landscapes and farms for everyone to enjoy while conserving one of our most precious natural resources,” says Dave Magner, sales and business development manager at Rain Bird and chair of IA’s Smart Irrigation Month Committee.
Following the campaign, participants are invited to submit their marketing materials by Aug. 31, 2012 and participate in the Smart Marketing Contest. The contest recognizes winners in both agriculture and turf/landscape categories. Entries are judged on messaging, quality, creativity and integration of the Smart Irrigation Month mission. The contest is free to IA members and, for the first time, is open to nonmembers for a nominal fee.
Industry professionals can find contest details, resources and promotion ideas here. Free resources include:
- Smart Tips for Smart Irrigation Month e-newsletter with ideas for participating in the campaign.
- Webinar featuring suggestions and success stories for manufacturers, dealers and distributors, contractors and water providers.
- Smart Irrigation Month logo artwork for your web site and marketing materials.
- Articles for customer and employee newsletters.
- Sample proclamation for your local government to declare July as Smart Irrigation Month.
- Statement stuffers with simple watering tips.
- Pre-recorded public service announcements.
- Sample press release for local media.
- Coloring and puzzle book to distribute at schools and community events.
Visit the Smart Irrigation Month web site for more details. For more information on the Smart Marketing Contest, click here .
About the Irrigation Association
The Irrigation Association is the leading membership organization for irrigation companies and professionals. Together with our members, we are committed to promoting efficient irrigation and to long-term sustainability of water resources for future generations. IA works to improve industry proficiency, advocate sound water management, and grow demand for water-efficient products and services. For more information, visit www.irrigation.org.