Tools & Calculators
EPA Water Budget
In December 2009, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency released the final version of its voluntary WaterSense specification for newly constructed single-family homes and townhomes. The specification defines criteria for indoor and outdoor water-use efficiency that new homes must meet to qualify for the WaterSense label.
To meet the Landscape Design Criteria (Section 4.1.1), builders must comply with one of the following options:
- Option 1 – Design the landscaped area using the WaterSense Water Budget Tool.
- Option 2 – Turfgrass may not exceed 40 percent of the landscaped area.
The water budget approach allows green industry professionals to:
- Calculate a regionally appropriate amount of water for use in the landscape.
- Take into account plant type and water needs, precipitation and irrigation system design, and water application.
- Design a site-specific, sustainable landscape that matches the water budget.
Water Budget Resources
Use the following tools for irrigation professionals to position yourself as a resource to homebuilders and the landscape industry: