Standards and Technical Committee
The Standards and Technical Committee monitors the applicability of existing standards, codes and best practices, and offers expertise in identification or the creation of new standards, codes and best practices that will have an impact upon the use of irrigation technologies, products and services. The committee may also provide technical expertise to other strategic initiatives such as government affairs,education or certification when requested.
Members of this committee serve a maximum of a two-year term; the chair and vice-chair serve one year in each leadership position.
Role of committee members:
- Understand the nature and scope of work assigned by the board of directors.
- Learn committee objectives and goals.
- Attend and actively participate in all scheduled committee meetings and conference calls.
- Offer unbiased recommendations and work for the good of the organization and membership.
- Respond to communications from chair and staff liaison in a timely manner.
- Provide input to IA staff and committee leadership upon request.
- Recuse themselves when their company’s mission is in direct conflict with the focus of the committee.
- Review supplied materials for discussion (if any) prior to meetings or conference calls.
- Seek guidance and direction from committee chair.
- Report to committee chair.
- Responsible for expenses to attend meetings.
- Takes notes during meetings and conference calls.
- Provides final notes to staff for distribution to the committee members.
- Serves as chair when the chair is absent.
- Works with the staff liaison to determine meeting dates at the beginning of the year.
- Identifies agenda items for each meeting or conference call.
- Leads discussion during committee meetings and conference calls.
Desired skills and characteristics:
- High ethical standards
- Willingness to share opinions openly with colleagues
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively in committee work
- Familiarity with best management practices
- Attention to deadlines
- Experience on a volunteer board or committee such as a civic association, PTA, homeowners’ association, etc. preferred
- Significant industry technical expertise and experience required