The Membership Committee is active when the board identifies a membership-related issue or special project that requires discussion, research and recommendations for changes to association membership business (such as a dues structure change, addition of a new member category, etc.)
- Promotes the benefits of IA membership.
- Identifies issues important to members.
- Evaluates current and potential products and services.
- Works to enhance the value of IA membership.
- Investigates equitable dues structures.
Members of this committee serve a maximum of a two-year term; the chair and vice-chair serve one year in each leadership position.
Role of committee members:
- Understand the nature and scope of work assigned by the board of directors.
- Learn committee objectives and goals.
- Attend and actively participate in all scheduled committee meetings and conference calls.
- Offer unbiased recommendations and work for the good of the organization and membership.
- Respond to communications from chair and staff liaison in a timely manner.
- Provide input to IA staff and committee leadership upon request.
- Recuse themselves when their company’s mission is in direct conflict with the focus of the committee.
- Review supplied materials for discussion (if any) prior to meetings or conference calls.
- Seek guidance and direction from committee chair.
- Report to committee chair.
- Responsible for expenses to attend meetings.
- Participate in quarterly committee meetings (one in person at Irrigation Show and three via conference call).
- Takes notes during meetings and conference calls.
- Provides final notes to staff for distribution to the committee members.
- Serves as chair when the chair is absent.
- Works with the staff liaison to determine meeting dates at the beginning of the year.
- Identifies agenda items for each meeting or conference call.
- Leads discussion during committee meetings and conference calls.
Desired skills and characteristics:
- High ethical standards.
- Willingness to share opinions openly with colleagues.
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
- Familiarity with best management practices.
- Attention to deadlines.
- Experience on a volunteer board or committee such as a civic association, PTA, homeowners’ association, etc. preferred.
- Strategic thinking.
- Marketing or customer research background is a plus.