Purchasers order materials needed for standalone irrigation projects or larger landscaping jobs. Using the detailed lists of materials developed by the irrigation designer or bidder/estimator, purchasers work with suppliers to obtain favorable pricing and terms, order materials and schedule delivery to the job site. At smaller contracting companies, irrigation designers price and order materials for their own projects.
- Identify sources for irrigation and landscaping materials.
- Work with suppliers to obtain favorable pricing, payment and delivery terms.
- Propose alternative technologies, products and brands to irrigation designers and/or bidder/estimators to reduce project cost.
- Order materials, schedule delivery to the contractor or job site, track shipments and expedite deliveries as needed.
- Together with branch manager, manage on-site inventory, including forecasting demand and monitoring inventory levels.
- Maintain and update vendor catalogs and pricing information.
Education & Experience
- Two-year associate degree required; four-year bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Five years irrigation installation experience required; two to three years experience as project manager, foreman or estimator in construction or landscape installation required.