Irrigation designers evaluate site conditions and water availability, then design a landscape irrigation system that meets the client’s requirements and budget. Designers create detailed drawings that specify which types and brands of products should be used and how they should be installed. Irrigation designers also develop detailed lists of materials and cost estimates for their projects.
- Meet with clients to discuss project objectives, budget and other requirements.
- Evaluate site conditions — including planting areas, soil conditions, sun exposure and elevation changes — and determine water availability and use requirements.
- Select the most effective irrigation equipment, methods and materials for the project.
- Develop efficient and cost-effective irrigation designs that meet plant watering requirements.
- Prepare comprehensive plans and specifications that include construction details, equipment and materials.
- Work with contractor and irrigation managers to ensure the installation and any change orders match the design intent.
- Provide direction to clients on system use, scheduling and maintenance.
Education & Experience
- Four-year bachelor’s degree required.
- Five years irrigation installation experience preferred; two to three years experience as project manager, foreman or estimator in construction or landscape installation helpful.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD or other design software.
- Recommended certification: Certified Irrigation Designer (CID).