Product engineers oversee development, testing and production of a specific product or family of products. They refine product designs and manufacturing processes to reduce costs through use of alternate materials, components or processes. Product engineers analyze market and customer research to identify ways to enhance and expand the manufacturer’s product portfolio.
- Design and develop new or next generation products, from initial concept, to prototyping and testing, to widespread production and post-launch support.
- Work with manufacturing engineers to implement new methods and processes to reduce production costs, increase volume and/or improve quality.
- Source raw materials and components needed to manufacture products.
- Research and analyze market needs, customer feedback, competitive products and price points to identify product ideas to enhance and expand the company’s product lines.
Education & Experience
- Four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering required; master’s degree in engineering preferred.
- Two to five years experience in product design, manufacturing processes and project management required; experience with irrigation components and systems preferred.
- Recommended certification(s): Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Quality Engineer (CQE), Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE), Certified Agricultural Irrigation Specialist (CAIS).